Friday, June 24, 2005

Florence, Pisa, and Montecatini Treme (Day 7)

Fruit stand in Florence. Everything is so fresh and so big and so succulent...mmm.
The gorgeous, quaint, movie-like streets of Florence. Seriously, how gorgeousare they??

Street performer dressed as a bronze statue. He was GOOD.
Statue of David outside of the Florence city hall. The real David is in Florence, too, but we didn't see him because it was a two-hour wait.

Courtyard outside of Santa Croce.
Tomb of Machiavelli.

Interior of Doumo Cathedral in Florence. That is the oldest working mechanical clock.
Streets of Florence. Cannot. Get. Enough.

Statue of "The Rape of Sabine," which I remember learning about in art - it was the first statue designed to be viewed from all angles.
Streets of Florence - at one time in history it was possible to go from one end of the city to the other without leaving the buildings. Or so the tour guide said.

Florence city hall. It kind of looks like it was made from Legos.
More of the streets of Florence. Seriously, I can't get enough.

The Doumo Cathedral. Third largest church in the world.
Detail of the Doumo.

Interior of the Doumo looking up at the dome.
Santa Croce church.

Michelangelo's tomb in Santa Croce. The three statues represent the three art muses - art, sculpture, and architecture. Since Michelangelo considered himself a sculptor, she is the only one mourning his death. And there you have yourself a little art lesson.
Courtyard of Santa Croce.

Florence main square.
Me getting molested by a street performer dressed as a marble statue. He was creepy...he kept...petting people.

Interior Doumo cathedral in Florence.
Obligatory picture of me fixing the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

The Leaning Tower of Pisa. Gorgeous skies! It's not leaning so much here, I must have tilted the camera a bit.
The Cathedral and the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

The Tower and a statue.
The street vendors surrounding the Tower.

The walls surrounding the city of Pisa.
The cathedral at Pisa.

Two views of the cathedral at Pisa.

Our hotel in Montecatini Treme.
Me in front of a fountain in Montecatini Treme.

The streets of Montecatini Treme at night.


3 comments:

Busty Wilde said...

Awesome! I'll trade you some Caribbean sand for some succulent...things. Hmm, that sounded bad.

Brianne said...

So beautiful. When I was in Europe, I was so mad that we didn't get to spend more time in Italy. Turns out we only got to spend a measly 6 hours in Venice. The best spot on our tour and we only got 6 hours!

Your pictures are great. I especially like the one of you fixing the Leaning Tower of Pisa. How cute! If I ever make it to Pisa, I just might have to steal that pose.

Love the street photos too. They remind me of scenes from "Only You." Have you seen it? If you haven't, you must.

Well I saw your link on my aunt's blog (wanderingamylessly) and checked it out. I'm glad I did. :)

CochiseandSpurLethr said...

Beautiful pictures enjoyed browsing your site very much. Alot of the pictures remind me of Israel and certain parts of Jordan. Thanks for the pictures they were refreshing to look at. Ebal..